Fancy a Trip to Wembley?
The Champion Schools tournament is the worlds biggest Rugby League knockout competition and one of the greatest success stories for the sport.
Do you want a taste of what it's like to be a top level official? Officials gain selection after performing well in the regional and national stages and will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of Tim Roby and Warren Turley who now regularly officiate in the Championship and Super League competitions!
As well as Wembley there are opportunities to officate in the many earlier rounds of the competition including the 10 North West semi finals. Those who perform to a high standard, coupled with the selection criteria below, will be selected to officiate at the Regional Finals in early February 2013 taking place at the home of Super Leagues Widnes Vikings at the Stobart Stadium.
How do you get selected?
Officials are selected to first the North West Finals, the National Semi Finals and ultimately the National Finals from the following criteria;
- Any official aged 17 or under on the 1st September each school/ college year is eligable for selection for the National Finals
- New/ developing officials (non graded) over 18 maybe selected for roles in the Regional Finals and National Semi Finals
- You perform to a high standard when officiating in the community game
- You attend local and regional meetings/ training sessions on a regular basis
- You go the extra mile to develop as a Match Official (Self reviews, asking questions, keeping fit, volunteering/ officiating at different events)
What Roles are available?
For each final taking place we'll have a number of roles to fore fill giving more opportunities for officials to be involved. Along side the various officiating duties, there maybe the chance to volunteer in other roles which will be announced nearer the time.
Roles to be filled include;
- Touch Judges
- In Goal Officials
- Reserve Officials
- Time Keepers
This year we'll also be looking for people to act as Tweeters to help raise the profile of officials and give others an insight into what goes on behind the scenes on finals day.
Appointments & Timelines
The North West Regional Finals will be taking place in the week beginning 4th February 2013 at the Stobart Stadium, Widnes.
The National Finals will be taking place on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th August 2013 in London with the Year 7 boys final being the curtain raiser to the Challenge Cup final at Wembley.
Wednesday 6th February
Year 8 St Peters/ St Cuthberts v Hope Academy/ William Beamont
Ref N Lawrenson TJ R Foxley TJ J Berry IG M Murray IG J Simm RR M Bannerman RTJ D Ward
Year 11 Haydock/ St Peters v Saddleworth/ William Beamont
Ref L Moore TJ M Bannerman TJ D Ward IG R Foxley IG J Berry RR J Simm RTJ M Murray
Friday 8th February
Year 7 St Mary's (Leigh) v De La Salle (St Helens)
Ref J Barr TJ S Jones TJ C Smith IG L Bell IG D Ward RR J Butterfield RTJ B Hopwood
Year 9 St Edmund Arrowsmith (Wigan) v St Peters/ St Peters & Paul
Ref T Jones TJ D Arnold TJ J Simm IG J Butterfield IG B Hopwood RR D Ward RTJ L Bell
Boys Regional Timelines (subject to weather conditions and school holidays)
- The Last 16 games are to be played by Friday 2nd November.
- Quarter Final games are to be played by Friday 16th November.
- Semi-Finals are to be played by Friday 30th November.
Boys (Yr 7 to 10)
- National Round 1 completed by 25th March
- National Quarter Finals completed by 3rd May
- National Semi Finals completed by Wednesday 22nd May
- Yr 8 to 10 National Finals take place on Friday 23rd August in London (venue TBC)
- Yr 7 National Final takes place on Saturday 24th August at Wembley Stadium, London.
Boys (Yr 11)
- National Round completed by 11th March
- National Quarter Finals completed by 15th April
- National Semi Finals completed by Tuesday 23rd April
- National Final, Wednesday 15th May (venue TBC)
Girls (Yr 7 to 10)
- Regional Festivals completed by 3rd May
- National Festvials completed by Thursday 23rd May
- Yr 7 to 10 National Finals take place on Friday 23rd August in London (venue TBC)
Girls (Yr 11)
- Regional Festivals completed by 15th March
- National Festival Wednesday 24th April
- National Final Wednesday 15th May (venue TBC)